Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Applets and Cotlets

I don't have one type of candy that is my absolute favorite, but I have many that I would call a part of my list of favorites. Applets and Cottlets are definitely a part of that list. Now I should probably give a description of these delightful candies, besides delicious to my taste buds. They are made from fresh apples and appricots and nuts into a jelly like texture with powder sugar coating. Many many years ago when I was in eighth grade (did I mention many many years ago) I went on a field trip to the plant in Cashmere, Washington and got free samples. That experience at such a young tender age was enough to hook me for life. My mother would give them to me as part of Christmas presents or we would buy some to enjoy on our Alaska cruise. I was hooked, that is all I can say. The only problem when it comes to Applets and Cotlets is that they are impossible to find. I used to find them in a few different grocery stores in Seattle, but since then the only place we found them was RiteAid. I don't recall ever finding them in too many places outside of Washington for that matter.
So now this brings us forward to today. My friend needed a cheap pair of sandals (we were going to go walking into the spring which makes me so very happy and he needed sandals for such an adventure). As we were walking from the sandal aisle towards the check stand at the local RiteAid (mind you I am not currently living in Washington) we walked down the candy aisle. Well upon seeing chocolate, I thought to myself, "today would be a good day for chocolate" (or something along the lines of I need chocolate) but upon further reflection I decided to be strong and forgo the chocolate. At that moment I looked up and what did I see sitting on the top shelf (or one of the top shelves). That is right Applets and Cotlets. Forget chocolate, Applets and Cotlets here I come. So today's joy brought to you courtesy of the Washington candy, oh the yummy goodness.

1 comment:

  1. Bartells had an add today for aplets and cotlets I thought of you and wondered if I should buy some and send your way. It looks like Heavenly Father knew you needed some too. By the way, Bartells is the only store Ive been able to get them from. All those I bought for the cruse came from there. I'm planning to get a couple of boxes to give as gifts on my next cruse.

    ReplyDelete